My blog chronicling my journey to earn my pro mountain bike license. Also talking about things from the bike shop and stuff that I think is interesting or cool.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Short Track Race #2



Did my first short track race of the year (it was the second short track race of the year, but I didn't do the first one).   Felt pretty good going into the race, both in regard to my fitness and to my handling:  I had ridden the course enough that I was comfortable on it.  I was nervous heading into the race, really because I was worried, but because I always get a little nervous for the first race of a season or series.

Lined up in the middle of the front row, and got into the wood behind Matt Moosa (one of four other teammates in the race, BikeSource was pretty well represented in the expert race).  Matt finished third last week even though he had to stop twice to pump up his rear tire that had lost some air.  Felt really good the first lap and was able to stay close to Matt.  Matt was able to slowly pull away from me on the second, I just couldn't keep on his rear wheel. 

On about the 4th lap Bobby Bryson (another fellow BikeSource rider) caught up to me and pulled in front of me.  Unfortunately I just couldn't stay on his wheel through the technical section, and unfortunately he pulled away from me on flats and I just wasn't able to pull him back.  Two-thirds of the way through the race Rick Pyle pulled even with me, but I was able stay in front of him through the finish.

Matt and Bobby both had great races and were just faster than me (both through the technical section and the flats).  Matt even put in a super fast lap on his last lap, going about as fast as he and I went on our first lap, which is super impressive.  I wasn't super happy with my race as a whole, but I can't be unhappy finishing 3rd.  It was also super cool to sweep the podium with Matt and Bobby, guys I've been racing with for the last four years when we were all racing sport call, now to sweep an expert race really is cool.

Thank you Wayne Holden for the pictures

Results

 

No comments:

Post a Comment