My blog chronicling my journey to earn my pro mountain bike license. Also talking about things from the bike shop and stuff that I think is interesting or cool.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

More to Preview from Specialized for 2013

Since I posted yesterday more bikes and equiptment have been shown on both Bikerumor and Bikeradar.  Here are some links and comments on what we've seen, I will skip over things that I commented on yesterday, here's a link to that post (there is also a link at the bottom of this post):

Bikeradar's preview of 2013 Specialized mountain bikes:
-The Enduro get tweeked, with a more efficient pedalling suspension and an autosag rear shock.  The S-works version weighs 25.9 pounds, pretty incredible for an all mountain bike with 160mm of travel.
-Epic's will move to 29" only, not too surprising since last year I think they only have two 26" versions.
-The Epic Marathon will come with a carbon front triangle and seat stays, where as the 2012 Expert only hade a carbon front triangle.  I am a little surprised they will come with X0 grip shifts, one good thing about that is that they'd be easy to switch out for trigger shifters if that's what a customer prefered.  I can't tell for sure, but based on the picture it certainly looks like they will come with carbon rims (don't look shiny enough to be alloy).
-The Stumpjumper hardtails will all go 29er for 2013, and like the Epic will introduce a Marathon version to be between the Expert and S-works, which appears to have the same components as the Epic Marathon (including carbon rims and grip shifters).
-The Carve will move from 80mm travel forks to 100mm, which I think is great given that this is an extremely raceable frame and will give riders many more options if they want to upgrade their fork down the road.

Bikeradar's extensive article on the 2013 Crux's
-Specialized will offer the Crux (their cyclocross race bike), in a ton of sizes, and options (alloy, carbon, rim brake and disc ready).  Almost makes me want to get back into cyclocross just so I can justify getting one of these super cool bikes, but I know I can't, it would be just too much racing during the year between that and mountain biking, triathlons, and Xterra races.

Bikerumor's preview of 2013 Roval wheels
-Specialized will be releasing carbon clincher road wheels in 40 and 60 mm depth, both available either for disc  or rim brakes.
-Specialized will be making a new carbon mountain bike wheel that won't have a bead hook to mount the tire on, Specialized found after testing the bead hooks aren't needed.  This makes the wheels much less expensive to make and as a result the Roval Control Carbon 29er wheels will be only $1200 a set (still not cheap, but relatively speaking way less expensive than carbon alternatives) and money well spent based on my experience with the Roval Control SL's, for the dramatic diffference in stiffness and handling.

Link to yesterday's post on the first look at Specialized 2013 bicycles.

No comments:

Post a Comment