My blog chronicling my journey to earn my pro mountain bike license. Also talking about things from the bike shop and stuff that I think is interesting or cool.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

First Ride: Specialized Epic Expert Carbon EVO R 29

Road my mountain bike, which I will refer to as an Epic Evo29er in the future to avoid having to type it’s full name, for the first time this Friday.  I’ve got to tweak the suspension a little, but overall the bike felt great and I’m really looking forward to riding it this year.  My initial thoughts:

-The Formula R1 brakes worked great, felt really smooth, very good stopping power, nice quiet.  I’m not really sure what else you could look for.
-It was surprising how quiet having a brand new drivetrain was (I guess that says I should take better care of that this year).
-I’m really excited how confident I felt on the Fastrak29x2.0 front tire that I put on the bike, last year I used a much knobbier and wider Captain 2.2. 
-I need to tweak the front suspension a little, it felt a little harsh (then again it was Francis Beatty, which if you’re not from the Charlotte area, is super rooty), but I don’t think that will be a big issue.
-The bike pedaled awesome, nothing different than last year’s model, but it always surprises me when I ride an Epic how well they do pedal for being a full suspension bike.

2 comments:

  1. My girlfriend just surprised me with one for Christmas. Icant wait to hit the trails tomorrow for the first time on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My girlfriend just surprised me with one for Christmas. Icant wait to hit the trails tomorrow for the first time on it.

    ReplyDelete