My blog chronicling my journey to earn my pro mountain bike license. Also talking about things from the bike shop and stuff that I think is interesting or cool.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

First Expert Win: How it Happened

The race Wednesday was at Renaissance, this is the course closest to the shop and on the way to and from the shop from home, so I’ve ridden there probably about 15 times this year, so I’m now incredibly comfortable riding there (which is funny because it was the course I felt least comfortable on last year).  This was going to be the first really hot race of the year (about 88), and so I knew might play a role in the race, and knew I would have to be careful about my nutrition and hydration.  The last couple races I haven’t drank all of my water/nutrition from my Camelbak, I knew this wouldn’t work for a race this hot.  I put my Inifinit nutrition in a water bottle, so I would be able to see how much of it I’ve had (a downside to the Camelbak is that you can’t see how much you’ve had). 


After getting to the race and getting all set up, I pre-rode the course and got lined up for the start.  It’s an relatively long uphill start, so I knew I wouldn’t have to be worried about getting a good start (I’d have plenty of time to make up for a bad first 5 seconds).  Fortunately I had a really good start, and got the hole shot (first into the woods).  After getting into the woods I eased up a little.  Robert Fish, another BikeSource rider, was second, which made me a little more comfortable because I knew he would just let me ride my race.  When I had gotten to the first climb up the big hill I had about a 5 second lead, over Luke Sagur (who must have passed Robert).  I pushed the hill but didn’t go crazy, I knew we still had over an hour to race.


Luke caught up to me as we entered the second section of single track.  Unfortunately about 5 minutes into the wood I hit a pedal on a root, I didn’t go down but it slowed me down enough that Luke was able to pass.  I got going again and followed Luke for the remainder of the first lap.  Before starting the second lap, I passed Luke in the open section leading into the wood.  I continued to ride well and slowly opened a gap over Luke, unlike the previous lap I was able to extend that gap going up the big hill.  I think about this time Donald Butler (one of our racers and a fellow manager at BikeSource), started telling me how big of a lead I had.  I was sorry to see that he DNF’d in his race, but was very thankful that he was going to be able to let me know the kind of lead I had.  The first time he told me I think he said it was 15 seconds.  Since I was feeling good I continued to push the pace and was riding really smooth (all those times riding the course were certainly helping).  The next time Donald told me I had about 20 seconds, then it was 40 second, then a minute, then 1:30 as I was in the last section of singletrack.  At this point I wasn’t trying to push it, but just trying to continue riding well, I knew the only way I would lose was if I crashed or cramped badly.  I came out of the wood and into the finishing straight, what an amazing feeling: my first expert win.  I checked to make sure no one was coming up behind me, and then pedaled the 15 seconds or so to the finish line.


I thanked Donald for giving me updates and asked if he was ok, he had wrecked out but was doing ok.  Chatted with some of the BikeSource guys and guys from other guys I knew from other teams. Mixed up my Infinit recovery drink.  No run today, a gift to myself for winning.  Pulled on my Swiftwickcompression socks before heading home.  Certainly a day to smile about.

No comments:

Post a Comment