My blog chronicling my journey to earn my pro mountain bike license. Also talking about things from the bike shop and stuff that I think is interesting or cool.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Riverfront Classic Race Report

Bobby 1st, me 3rd. . .not bad

Showed up at the White Water Center about 7:30 (for the 9:02 start), got signed in and everything set up and ready to go for the race.  Pre-rode a little bit of the course with Bobby Bryson, Chris Audet (who were both doing the same race) and Matt Moosa (who was racing with the 19-29 year olds).  Practiced a couple starts to make sure I knew what gear to start in and then rode around easily until the start.  Got a really good initial 4 or 5 pedal strokes, but didn’t get my left foot clipped in.  I slowed down a little to get clipped in, even with that I got into the woods in 5th place (out of about 13) and felt pretty good about that.  After staying in line for about 5 minutes, Chris W(??_), one of the fastest guys in the race had a mechanical and had to stop.  A couple minutes later I passed the rider in third, with Tommy Rodgers and Bobby Bryson just in front of me, I thought that the three of us would probably be the three riding for the win.
Not my best start

The three of us continued in line for the rest of the first lap, pretty uneventfully.  They were pulling away from me on the climbs, but I was able to catch back up through the technical sections relatively easily.  Unfortunately there were a couple times near the top of short technical climbs where they checked up a little and I had to get off briefly and climb back on.  At the end of the first lap got rid of my Camelbak and got a new water bottle of Infnit, as planned. About 15 minutes into the second lap I passed Bobby and Tommy, I was riding really well and feeling good.  Unfortunately approaching a fork in the trail, didn’t see the arrow for the course until I had already committed to the wrong direction.  Unfortunately I had to stop turn around and get back on the bike, which allowed Bobby and Tommy to pass me.

At some point I was able to pass Tommy and after a little bit we started to put a gap between ourselves and Tommy.  Was still feeling good, at the end of lap two swapped water bottles for another bottle of Infinit.  Maybe 15 minutes into the 3rd and final lap Bobby pushed up a climb (I don’t think he was trying to go hard), but I just couldn’t push any harder and he pulled away like I was standing still.  At that point I knew I was in preservation mode, and just try to ride as evenly as possible to the finish.  Unfortunately I spun out at the bottom of the climb with about 10 minutes left in the race and Tommie passed me, unfortunately I couldn’t pull him back in, and finished about 30 seconds behind him.

Overall I was really happy with my fitness and bike handling, and finishing 3rd (although I could have had a better finish) given the caliber of other riders is something I’m really proud of.

Special congratulations to: Bobby 1st the Cat 1 30-39 race, Eric Haggerty 3rd in single speed, and Andrea Hildebrand 1st Cat 2 Women 40+.

No comments:

Post a Comment