My blog chronicling my journey to earn my pro mountain bike license. Also talking about things from the bike shop and stuff that I think is interesting or cool.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Cyclocross World Championships

While I didn't do any cyclocross racing this year (I needed a break from racing, and some time to concentrate on training) I think it is probably the most fun style of bike racing out there and I still followed the top European races. About a week ago the Cyclocross World Championships were held in Belgium (the epicenter of cyclocross). The Belgian team had seven riders and went 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 . . . every Belgian finished before anyone else, an incredibly dominating performance, and from reading the race reviews it didn't even seem like they worked together (which would have been hard with how sandy that course was), they just rode faster than everyone else.  Neils Albert who hadn't had a good season so far made his season by winning the World Championships. For anyone that enjoys cyclocross and what's really not to like: both beer and yelling are ENCOURAGED, the World Championships in 2013 will be in Louisville Kentucky.

Here's a few links that I thought were good:

Video Highlights (see how many spectators there are)

Pictures and Recap/Results

Neils Albert's Manager saying he shouldn't have to split his price money. The Belgian agree to split the price money equally between all the racers. Albert's manager said that since his team didn't help him (Albert rode off the front on lap one and was never challenged) that he shouldn't have to split the price money. I agree that his team didn't do much (if anything to help him), but it looks really bad to split the price money like it had been agreed upon before hand, especially when the price money pales in comparison to the sponsorship oportunies Albert will get as a result of winning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment