My blog chronicling my journey to earn my pro mountain bike license. Also talking about things from the bike shop and stuff that I think is interesting or cool.

Friday, February 17, 2012

Ride at Anne Springs

Wednesday I went to Anne Springs with a couple goals: work on my front suspension set-up and get in a long (3-4 hour) mountain bike ride.  Got to the trail and checked the pressure on my fork, both the positive and negative pressures were about 10 psi higher than I wanted it, I don’t know if I looked at the chart wrong or what exactly I did.  So I took 10 psi out headed out on my ride.  About 30 minute into my ride my rear tire started to rub on something, I thought maybe a leaf or stick had gotten stuck and it was making the noise, but it continued and thought maybe I should look at it.  Unfortunately one of the zip-ties hold my brake line broke and the line was rubbing the tire.  After thinking about how I could hold the hose to the rear I tried to use one of my rubber bands from my Garmin to hold it but I couldn’t make it work.  When I finished up my lap I went to the car and used a string from a sunglasses bag to tie the hose to the chain stay, fortunately this worked pretty well for the rest of the ride and didn’t have any further problems (being not very mechanically inclined I was pretty proud of taking care of this, which I know is sad).

Ride continued uneventfully, the fork felt great after taking air out of it before the ride (got rid of all the harshness I noted earlier) I also felt pretty smooth handling the bike.  I rode the same laps as the Tree Shaker course and ended up doing 5 in 3:25 (doesn’t include time stopped for repairs), which was 49 minutes a lap, which was just a little slower than when I did the tree shaker which made me feel really good about where I was with my fitness and handling.

No comments:

Post a Comment