My blog chronicling my journey to earn my pro mountain bike license. Also talking about things from the bike shop and stuff that I think is interesting or cool.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Follow up to previous posts

I thought it was an appropriate time to follow up on a couple posts I made earlier:

I had previously mentioned that I have been wearing some Swiftwick compression socks, particularly after hard workouts and races.  I’ve had a lot more time wearing them and have been even more impressed.  When I first got them I was really good about wearing them after every workout or race, recently there have been a couple times when they’ve all been in the wash and I haven’t worn them.  This really showed me how much they were helping, the difference was much larger than I thought:  with wearing them, there was virtually no leg soreness after a workout, without wearing them there was the typical leg soreness following a workout.  I’m not sure how much this helps in terms of fitness (feeling fresher for the next day’s workout can’t hurt), but even just for the reduced soreness and pain they are worth every penny and then some.

Since I posted about Linsanity a lot has happened with the Knicks:  Amare Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony came back from injury, the Knicks tanked, and D’Antoni resigned/was fired/was bought out.  As expected he didn’t continue scoring 25 points a game, but he’s remained a productive player and as a starter he has averaged 19 and 8.1 (points and assists) with 4.9 turnovers.  His numbers have dipped dramatically particularly in scoring (and turnovers) since Carmelo Anthony has returned from injury:  before Carmelo:  25 and 8.4 (6.5 turnovers), after Carmelo:  14.9 and 7.3 (3.9 turnovers).  This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, teams with really high scoring point guards usually aren’t very good (exception: Chicago Bulls with Derrick Rose).  I’m very interested to see what happens with him in a more traditional offense that he will be in now, I would expect both his assists and turnovers to go down, but we’ll see.

-Specialized XC Light Weight Grips
I’ve continued to enjoy the Speciaized XC Light Weight Grips and they’ve held up much better than I expected (they are still in pretty good shape two months later, although I haven’t ridden a ton).  There durability has also been helped by me not crashing very often (for me).

-1x10 set-up
I’ve still be extremely satisfied with the 1x10 set up and would certainly recommend it for any XC racer who doesn’t have to deal with any super steep long climbs.  I think it is really important though if you are thinking about a 1x10 set-up to have done the gear ratio or gear inch calculations comparing the set-up you are thinking of running with the range of gears that you do actually use.

No comments:

Post a Comment